Sunday 17 January 2010

January 2003 - Chicken and Mango Salad

Having found a premise for starting a blog I need to get through the January magazines in a only 15 days so I decided to keep on looking and picked up issue 12, December 2002/January 2003.

As well as quite a lot of seafood recipes there was the, expected, Christmas recipes. I did, however find a few recipes that I could make with stuff that I already had on hand. Making something that made me sick on Friday night I was in the mood for something light and refreshing. There were some mangoes in the fridge that needed using up so I decided to go with Valli Little's Chicken & Mango Salad on pg 218.




Chicken and Mango Salad

Ingredients (serves 4)

  • 4 (about 120g each) chicken breasts, fat and sinew trimmed
  • 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 60ml (1/4 cup) rice vinegar
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • 1 tbs caster sugar
  • 2 kaffir lime leaves, thinly shredded
  • 1 small red chilli, seeded, sliced
  • 2 mangoes, peeled
  • 200ml light olive oil
  • 1 telegraph cucumber, very thinly sliced lengthways
  • 2 cups snow pea shoots
  • 75g fresh coriander leaves
  • 6 shallots (spring onions), finely sliced

Method

  1. Season the chicken breasts, then place them in a steamer for 7-8 minutes. (Check they are ready by inserting a skewer into the thickest part; the juices should run clear.)
  2. Shred chicken and place in a bowl.
  3. Place the ginger, garlic, rice vinegar, lime juice, sugar, kaffir lime leaves and chilli in a bowl, add the chicken and stir to coat. Set aside for one hour to marinate.
  4. Place the flesh from one of the mangoes in a food processor and puree, then add the oil and process until smooth. Thinly slice flesh from the remaining mango and set aside. Drain the chicken, reserving the marinade, and return to the bowl with cucumber, snow pea shoots, mango slices, coriander and shallots.
  5. Stir mango puree into the reserved marinade and drizzle over the salad.
This was a wonderful combination of flavours, although I think that the dressing would have been better made with macadamia oil or grape seed oil.


3 comments:

  1. Your salad looks beautiful:) Why do you think the light olive oil was not the right choice? Only curious as it tends to be my 'go to' oil when I want something flavourless:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The oil that I used had a lot of flavour to it still. I tend to buy locally produced olive oils and even the light is quite robust. Perhaps a commercial light olive oil would be okay. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely a favourite recipe that I have printed and make frequently. Never sure on 75g of coriander leave though! Seems a lot?

    ReplyDelete