Saturday 20 February 2010

February 2007 - Moroccan Eggs

At the start of this month I had made a list of the recipes that I was going to make from each magazine. From issue #57 I had fully intended on making the cover recipe, Fontina Cheese & Basil Toasted Sandwiches. They looked easy, tasty and something that I could make for a simple lunch. However when I came to actually make it I had changed my mind.

I decided instead to try a new breakfast dish, Moroccan Eggs by Valli Little. During the working week I am lucky if I manage to get myself a bowl of cereal or toast with coffee but on the weekends I like to cook something nice. I am partial to cornbread muffins (just cornbread mixture cooked in muffin tins) split in half and then spread with butter and golden syrup. Another favourite is this Blueberry Corn Bread recipe on Taste. I normally make it with frozen raspberries. As much as I like the sweet breakfast foods, I am partial to savouries for breakfast. I love an omelette stuffed with sliced tomatoes and sharp cheddar cheese, this Baked Eggs with Tomato and Chorizo recipe is wonderful and I have been drawn to this Ham and Cheese French Toast but I have never been quite game to try it. So I was pleased to find a savoury recipe that would be perfect for breakfast.

The recipe is actually part of the regular "Tuesday Night Cooking" section of the magazine. These recipes are all relatively quick meals to make after a long day at work. However this one seemed perfect for a nice breakfast on a Saturday morning. It was a different way with eggs, very tasty and was incredibly easy to convert to making for one.

Moroccan Eggs

Serves 4

Ingredients
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 tbsp dukkah
  • 4 slices Turkish bread, split
  • 1/2 c hummus
  • 1/2 red onion, sliced
  • 1/3 c mint leaves (I didn't have any so used parsley)
  • Tomato chutney, to serve
Method
  • Heat oil in fry pan over a medium heat.
  • Break eggs into pan being careful not to break the yolks.
  • Let cook until whites start to become white rather than translucent and then sprinkle each egg with 2 tsp of dukkah and continue to cook until done to your liking. I cooked mine until the yolk was hard as I am not a fan of runny yolks.
  • Meanwhile toast the bread, then spread with hummus, top with an egg and onion.
  • Sprinkle with mint leaves and a dollop of tomato chutney (I used some home made tomato relish).

Moroccan Eggs

No comments:

Post a Comment