Sunday 14 March 2010

March 2003 - Orange Hotcakes

Well it took me another week to actually make another recipe, oh dear, I will have to speed up my cooking if I am going to get through my recipes this month.

I sort of struggled to find something to make out of this issue as well. There was a recipe for a cold tomato & basil pasta by Maggie Beer that sounded really good but I had made something very similar recently. I was going to make Valli Little's Chicken Breasts in Orange Sauce on Saturday night but I didn't read the recipe properly before hand and missed that they needed to marinate for 2 hours. It was already late so I couldn't make that. The chicken had already been in the fridge for a couple of days so I had to use it for something else. Another recipe that I had considered in the orange special was Orange Hotcakes, so I decided to make those on Sunday morning for breakfast.

Like most hotcakes/pancakes recipes they were quick and easy to make. I love pancakes for Sunday breakfast. My parents used to make pancakes every Sunday for breakfast which was something that my grandparents in Canada used to do too. I don't do it every Sunday any more but they are nice for a treat. The addition of the orange zest and juice made a lovely change from my regular plain pancakes. Plus serving them with fruit and yoghurt is a bit of a change (and healthier) than my usual fried egg, bacon and lots off maple syrup or golden syrup. I would thoroughly recommend them for a lovely breakfast.

Orange Hotcakes

Serves 4 - 6

Ingredients
  • 300g (2 cups) self-raising flour
  • 2 tbsp caster sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 250 ml (1 cup) buttermilk
  • 3 oranges
  • 40 g (2 tbsp) melted butter
  • Thick Greek yoghurt, to serve (I used passionfruit yoghurt & some maple syrup)
Method:
  • Combine flour & sugar in a bowl with a whisk
  • In a jug combine eggs, buttermilk, zest and juice of one orange.
  • Combine wet & dry ingredients until smooth. Set aside.
  • Peel other 2 oranges and slice thinly.
  • Heat a non-stick pan over a medium heat, grease lightly and then pour batter into pan in whatever size you prefer.
  • Keep warm while you cook them all.
  • Serve with slices of orange and yoghurt.


Orange Hotcakes

1 comment:

  1. mmm nomnomnom orange with pancakes i would've never thought of this but it looks great!

    ReplyDelete