Sunday 29 August 2010

August 2007 - Cubano Sandwich

Just a quick one so that I can get through all of August's posts before the end of the month. 

Sometimes when you make the choice to go with something unusual and unique it just doesn't work out. I was trying to decide between two recipes. The first was Valli Little's Vanilla-braised beef cheeks. This was a wonderful sounding recipe. I didn't have any beef cheeks but I did have diced beef in the freezer and I thought that I could easily substitute it for the cheeks. 

However, one evening when looking for something quick and simple I change my mind and decided to make the other recipe that I had been considering, April Bloomfield's Cubano sandwich. I had some leftover roast pork in the fridge and decided that it would be a good way of using it up. I was intrigued by the relish combination. Unfortunately, I didn't like it at all. I am a fan of all of the ingredients separately however together I didn't enjoy it. In fact I couldn't even finish half of it. I did eat the oven chips that I served with it though. I really don't think that there was anything that I could have done differently, it just wasn't to my taste. 

Cubano Sandwich 
  • 4 crusty French rolls
  • 3 cups grated gruyere cheese 
  • 3 cups shredded or very thinly sliced roast pork
  • 8 slices prosciutto
Jalapeno relish
  • 1/3 cup pickled jalapeno chillies 
  • 2 tbsp drained capers 
  • 1 cup cornichons
  • 1/3 cup Dijon mustard
Method 
  • For relish: chop jalapenos, capers, cornichons finely and combine with mustard. 
  • Slice rolls in half, spread the bases with half of the cheese, prosciutto, pork and top with remaining cheese and 2 tbsp each of relish. 
  • Wrap each sandwich tightly in foil and bake in a 190 C oven on a baking tray with another weighted down on top for or in a sandwich press for 15 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment