Tuesday 28 September 2010

September 2008 - Mango Lassi

Woo hoo! Two posts in two days. Ridiculous what I get excited about at times really. Although since it has been a while since I have managed to string posts together then it can only be a good thing. Having a deadline really helps though. It would have been easy to head off to bed tonight without getting another post done but I decided that if I didn't do it tonight then I might end up putting it off for another day and I would end up having to do three posts in one day to get it all done. Actually, unlike all the other issues where I got the actual cooking done quite some time before writing the post I only just made something from this issue tonight. It is a good thing that I have already made something from the 2009 and 2010 issues. 

I had always intended to make Nigella's Maple pecan muffins. They sounded just scrumptious. Lovely little muffins full of nuts, wheatgerm and 125 ml of maple syrup. I love maple syrup. I wonder if that harks back to my Canadian background. Although I don't really remember maple syrup being around my grandparent's house. I remember plenty of other syrups, Aunt Jamima being the main one but plenty of Gramma's homemade ones too. Pincherry being my favourite of the homemade pancake syrups. To be honest I am not even sure what pincherries are but I know that they made a great syrup. For what ever reason I just could not get it together to get these muffins made. I kept putting it off until tomorrow. Unfortunately it got to tonight and there really weren't too many more options for tomorrow and I just didn't feel like baking tonight. It is strange though as it is not like muffins are even difficult.

I ended up making Jamie Oliver's Mango Lassi and I am so glad that I did. It was the best drink that I have ever had. I guess that it is kind of like a smoothie but so much better. I cannot believe that I have been missing something so good all these years. I had heard of a mango lassi before just never had one, not that I can remember any way and if they are always like this I think I would remember. It was wonderfully tangy and slightly sweet, gloriously thick and smooth. The lime juice and zest in it was just perfect. I didn't add any sugar or honey to it as I thought it was just perfect the way it was. I used mango canned in juice as the fresh mangoes are still too expensive and I couldn't find any frozen ones. I highly recommend this one and will be making it regularly from now on. 

Mango Lassi 

Serves 4 (lol more like 2 or 1 if you are greedy) 
Ingredients
  • 2 large ripe mangoes or 4 frozen mango cheeks
  • 1 cup (280 g) natural yoghurt
  • 100 ml milk 
  • Zest and juice of 1 lime 
  • Brown sugar or honey, to taste (optional) 
  • A sprig of mint, to garnish
Method: 
  • Place all ingredients except sugar/honey and mint in a processor or blender and process until smooth. 
  • Add sugar or honey to taste. 
  • Pour into glasses and serve with a sprig of mint.

No comments:

Post a Comment