Thursday 9 December 2010

December 2001 - Baked Mushrooms

It seems a bit quick to be revisiting this issue but since the launch issue was a November/December issue I don't have much choice. It is a good issue, in fact most of them are, so I am not too worried about revisiting it. 
I again salivated over the Hummus with ground lamb & pinenuts. It really does look so very good, however I was looking for something for breakfast. 

I recalled that there was a wonderful recipe for Baked Mushrooms by Jacques Raymond in this issue. I tossed up whether to make this recipe or, what I eventually did make for November, his Crispy pork belly with spiced lentils. Now that I had another chance at it this issue it was a pretty foregone conclusion that I was going to come back to this recipe. It was just as fantastic as I had hoped, although I am sure it would have been even better with freshly picked, wild mushrooms like Jacques says in his introduction to the recipe but even though there had been a lot of rain recently I hadn't come across any fresh mushrooms. I did buy some lovely portobello mushrooms on special and they were perfect in this. I served the mushrooms on some lovely toasted pane de casa from a local bakery. It was a wonderful breakfast and I will be doing this one again. 

Baked Mushrooms 

Serves 4 

Ingredients
  • Melted butter, to grease
  • 8 medium Swiss Brown or field mushrooms
  • 3 garlic cloves, sliced 
  • 5 eschallots, sliced 
  • 2 tbsp roasted hazelnuts (I used walnuts) 
  • 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil 
  • 2 tbsp hazelnut oil (I used walnut oil) 
  • 50 g butter, cubed 
  • Parmesan shavings 
  • 12 sprigs fresh thyme
Method: 
  • Preheat oven to 180 C. 
  • Line baking tray with foil and brush with melted butter. 
  • Quarter mushrooms if large or leave whole if you prefer and add to the tray. 
  • Combine garlic, eschallots, hazelnuts and oils in a bowl and season with salt & pepper. 
  • Pour over the mushrooms and toss to combine. 
  • Then add parmesan, butter and half the thyme. 
  • Cover with a second sheet of foil, seal and bake for 10 - 12 minutes. 
  • Serve with toast and remaining thyme. 

No comments:

Post a Comment