Saturday 19 February 2011

Strawberry Mousse Cake

There was a quickly organised night at a friend's place last night. We had a good friend coming home for the weekend for a quick visit and decided to get together last night for dinner. I was charged with bringing dessert. I wanted to try something a bit different. I wanted to make something fruity. I considered making something from Bill's Sydney Food but none of the desserts really grabbed me. Nothing that would really suit adults as well as young children anyway. I had seen a couple of recipes for a strawberry mousse cake but none of them were exactly what I wanted so I decided to get a little bit creative. Thankfully, it all worked out. and everyone really enjoyed it. It all held up and and tasted great. Lovely and fresh and light. I will definitely be making this one again. 

First I made a genoise sponge using a recipe from The Australian Women's Weekly Cook. It was a really easy sponge to make. It collapsed a bit on me towards the end of the cooking time, so would reduce that slightly next time. Although I did put the mixture into a 23 cm springform instead of a 20 cm one as I couldn't find my 20 cm one.  Plus that was the size I wanted for my final product.

Genoise Sponge 
  • 4 eggs 
  • 110g (1/2 c) caster sugar 
  • 100 g (2/3 c) plain flour, double sifted
  • 60 g butter, melted and cooled 
Method: 
  • Pre-heat oven to 160 C (fan-forced).
  • Put eggs & sugar in a large bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and beat continuously using electric beaters until thick & creamy, about 10 minutes. 
  • Remove bowl from the heat and continue beating until the mixture reaches room temperature.
  • Sift over half the flour and fold in, add remaining flour and fold though. 
  • Quickly fold in the butter. 
  • Pour mix into pan and bake for 15 - 20 minutes. 
  • Turn out immediately. 
  • Once cool refrigerate until required. 
Strawberry Mousse
  • 500g strawberries (fresh or frozen)
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 100 g caster sugar
  • 6 leaves gelatine (gold strength), softened in cold water (I think this would be about 4 or 5 tsp of gelatine) 
  • 250ml (1 cup) Greek yoghurt
  • 250 ml (1 cup) double cream
Method 
  • Place the strawberries and lemon juice in a food processor and process until smooth. 
  • Heat the purée and sugar in a saucepan over a low heat until the sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat. 
  • Squeeze water from the soaked gelatine and add to the strawberry mixture. Stir well until dissolved, then cool.
  • When cool whisk in the yoghurt and cream, chill in the fridge until slightly thickened. 
To assemble: 
  •  Line the base of the clean springform tin with glad wrap. 
  • Carefully slice sponge cake in half and place one half in the cake tin. 
  • Spoon over half of the strawberry mousse (a ladle worked really well).
  • Top with the other half of the sponge cake and then the remaining mousse. 
  • Refrigerate overnight or until set. 
  • To unmould, run a knife under hot water, dry completely and run around the inside of the tin then quickly remove the outer ring of the tin and slide onto a serving tray. 
  • Top with a punnet of sliced strawberries combined with the pulp of one passionfruit and 1 tsp of caster sugar. (The sugar is optional, if your strawberries are sweet enough don't worry about it) 
  • Refrigerate until serving. 


Linked to:

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, that cake is so stunning. I'm not surprised that everyone enjoyed it. I know I would. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog called Sweets for a Saturday and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your cake up. http:/sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/02/sweets-for-saturday-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Lisa. I would love to link up, will look at you blog and what I have to do. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, your strawberry mousse cake looks and sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing. Your friends are so lucky that they get to try your cake!

    Amy
    http://utry.it

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks BEAUTIFUL! glad to have found your blog!
    -meg
    @ http://www.clutzycooking.blogspot.com
    @ http://www.myscribblednotebook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the strawberries on top of the cake! So delicious looking and it really stood out!

    ReplyDelete