Thursday 5 May 2011

Corn & Ginger Soup

I didn't manage to get my picnic in today but I did get a bunch of stuff done around the house. Plus I started to sort through my dvds, cds, books and previously unpacked boxes in preparation for a garage sale. It has been almost 2 years since I moved house. In my previous house I had so much stuff and oodles of storage. I am now in a slightly smaller house with little storage space. There is so much stuff that I just don't need or use so it is time for it to go. I have been saying that I would have a garage sale for about a year now but finally decided to do something about it. 

I remember a soup recipe in a Nigella book that she referred to as 'my body is a temple' soup although I don't remember now anything about the actual recipe. It was my first thought when I saw this recipe though. A very quick and simple recipe. Full of flavour and almost restorative. It was so easy to whip up for a quick lunch. I think this will end up being a regular in my house. 

Corn & Ginger Soup

Ingredients:
  • 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
  • 1/2 cup green onions, finely sliced, plus extra to serve
  • 1 tbsp ginger, finely sliced 
  • 2 cups corn kernels, cut from cobs (or frozen) 
  • 4 cups chicken stock (I used vegetable)
  • 1 tbsp shao hsing wine
  • 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tsp sesame oil, to serve
Method: 
  • Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat.
  • Add green onions and ginger, stir for 1 minute. 
  • Add corn, stir for another minute (or longer if corn is still frozen).
  • Pour in stock, bring to boil.
  • Season with wine, salt, pepper, sugar, soy sauce.
  • Simmer for 5 minutes.
  • Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with green onions and drizzle with sesame oil. 

No comments:

Post a Comment