Thursday 19 May 2011

Parmesan Veal Schnitzel with Creamed Potatoes

I am so tired and I am heading off to bed very shortly but I just wanted to get something posted. I was looking through things last night and realised that I have so many things that I have made from Sydney Food that I haven't yet blogged about. I also have a number of other things that I want to post too. It has been hard to go back to work after a couple of weeks off. Haven't been feeling well or sleeping well either so it is all just a bit of a "perfect storm" of blah at the moment. 

I made this a while ago now. I couldn't get any veal at the time but my wonderful butcher gave me some wonderfully tender beef although I can't remember exactly which cut he gave me now. ***oops*** I would definitely make this again. The left overs were very good too. I served with spicy roast sweet potato and steamed broccoli & cauliflower. 

Parmesan veal schnitzel with creamed potatoes

Ingredients: 
  • 8 veal escallops
  • 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs (I made them from wholemeal bread)
  • 1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 cup parsley 
  • 2 tbsp finely chopped thyme 
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt 
  • freshly ground black pepper 
  • 1/4 cup milk 
  • 2 eggs 
  • 1 cup plain (all-purpose) flour 
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
Method:
  • Place veal escallops on a board and flatten with a mallet. Place breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix well. Place milk and eggs in a bowl and beat lightly together. Place flour in a bowl.
  • Dip veal first in the flour, then egg wash and finally in breadcrumb mixture. Continue until all veal is coated.
  • Heat olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Place veal in frying pan in a single layer, being careful not to crowd, and cook for two minutes until golden brown on one side. Turn veal and cook for a further two minutes. Remove from pan and keep warm until all the veal escallops are cooked. Serve with creamed potatoes.
Creamed potatoes 

Ingredients
  • 800g potatoes suitable for mashing
  • 1 cup cream (I used natural yoghurt)
  • 75g butter 
  • 1 tsp sea salt
Method:  
  • Place potatoes in boiling water and cook until tender. 
  • Remove from heat, drain and mash potatoes in saucepan. 
  • Beat yoghurt & butter into potatoes with a wooden spoon until smooth. Season with salt to taste. 

2 comments:

  1. I love veal, the dish looks great. Never put yogurt in my potatoes though, afraid of the tangy flavor it might give them. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thanks Ellie, it definitely does give them a tang but I really do like it. Obviously, it is not as good as using cream, or even sour cream, but it is much better on the waistline. LOL

    ReplyDelete