Monday 13 June 2011

Skewered Chicken with Crispy Coleslaw

So onto the second of the meals that I made while I was away last month. The title of this one is supposed to read Skewered Swordfish with Crispy Coleslaw. I couldn't get swordfish but to be completely honest I was fine with that. I suppose I could have used some other fish but was not sure what else I could use and I didn't really want another seafood meal. So I decided to replace the swordfish with some diced chicken breast. Also, I didn't really want to buy all the individual ingredients for the coleslaw so I grabbed a bag of pre-packaged coleslaw ingredients instead. I did however have everything for the marinade and the dressing. 

Now, with all my changes I wasn't sure whether to actually post this as a separate recipe or if I should wait and actually make it as written. I decided though that, while I really enjoyed it, I wasn't going to do it again with fish. I might do it again with the chicken and make up the coleslaw as per the recipe as it was all very nice however I decided that I would post what I made while I was away. 

Skewered Chicken with Crispy Coleslaw

Ingredients:
  • 2 tbsp lime juice 
  • 2 cloves garlic, sliced 
  • 2 tbsp olive oil 
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt 
  • freshly ground black pepper 
  • 2 small chicken breasts diced (thigh would also work) 
  • 1 bag coleslaw mix (I cannot remember which one I got now) 
  • Soy dressing (see recipe below) 
Method: 
  • Combine lime juice, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. Add chicken cubes and marinate of at least an hour. 
  • Thread chicken onto skewers (I used metal ones so I didn't have to soak them). 
  • Heat frying pan over high heat and cook the skewers for a couple of minutes each side, or until cooked through. 
  • Serve with coleslaw and soy dressing.
Soy Dressing 
  • 1 tbsp sesame oil 
  • 1/2 c soy sauce 
  • 1 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar 
  • 2 tbsp sugar 
  • 3 tbsp lime juice 
  • 2 chillies, finely chopped
Method: 
  • Combine all ingredients and let sit to combine.

No comments:

Post a Comment