Sunday 3 July 2011

Carrot & Beet Crumble

Just time for a quick post tonight of a simple little side dish that I made quite some time ago now. I have posted before about how much I enjoyed Chocolate & Zucchini's Zucchini & Mushroom Crumble and I decided that I should be able to do it with a variety of different vegetables. I have in the past used beets and carrots together and know that they combine well so decided to try them in a crumble and it worked really well. I served it with a pork belly dish (which I still need to post about) and steamed broccoli and mash. I will definitely be making this again. 

Carrot & Beet Crumble

Ingredients:
  • 2 carrots, peeled & julienned
  • 2 beets, peeled & julienned 
  • 1 tbsp oil (I used grapeseed oil)
  • 1 small onion, finely diced (leek finely sliced would be nice too)
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed 
  • 2 tsp flour 
  • 1/2 tsp caster sugar
  • salt & pepper, to taste 
  • 1 tbsp water (stock or white wine would be good too) 
  • Juice of 1 lime (not necessary)
  • 25 g panko breadcrumbs (regular breadcrumbs would be fine)
  • 25 g rolled oats 
  • 25 g grated parmesan
  • 25 g butter, diced 
  • dash of dried herbs (I used Masterfoods Pizza Topper)
Method: 
  • Pre-heat oven to 200 C. 
  • Heat oil in a frypan over a medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes, add garlic and cook for a further minute. Add beets & carrots cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add caster sugar, salt & pepper, water & lime juice. Add flour and continue to cook until the sauce thickens (there isn't a lot of it).
  • In the meantime, combine breadcrumbs, oats, parmesan and herbs. Add butter and rub in. 
  • Spoon beet mixture into a baking dish and top with crumble and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. 
  • This should make 2 - 3 serves. You could grate the carrots & beets but just watch when you are cooking as it will cook quicker if grated.
 

2 comments:

  1. This is such a pretty side! The golden crunchy top sitting alongside the deep red of the beetroot is so tempting:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Coby, I always enjoy doing something a bit different occasionally.

    ReplyDelete