Sunday 31 July 2011

Toasted Coconut Waffles with Mango & Syrup

Well, it has been a little while since I last posted. No I haven't abandoned my little blog. I have been busy at work and then the past few days I have been sick. Sore throat, no voice and headache. I am pleased to say that after some sleep and tlc I am feeling a better. Good enough that I am sitting here waiting for it to be time for me to go out for dinner. In fact, I doubt I will get this finished before I go but at least I will have made a start.

I have seemed to have slowed down a little bit in what I am making from Bills Sydney Food. Plenty of other things have been on the menu including stuff from other books and magazines or just making it up as I go along. I will have to make a concerted effort to get back to it through. There are a few recipes that I want to leave for later in the year as there are some seasonal ingredients required and while I can buy them now they are either imported or not at peak flavour. Plus there is no point making everything at once. The other reason I have started to slow down is that I am getting to a point now where I am closing in on the recipes that don't interest me as much. Instead of spreading them out a bit with the ones that I knew I would definitely like I have been a bit silly and left some things, specifically the seafood dishes until "later". Now I am heading rapidly towards "later" and having to make them and I find the prospect of several seafood dishes in a row not particularly appealing. I do know that seafood is good for me and there are things that I do like but it really isn't something that I sit down and specifically choose a recipe to make. Oh well, I will just have to bite the bullet and get a start on them.

No, I didn't get this finished before I went out last night and it was late when I got home. I had a great night out with my friends. I did mean to get back to this earlier today but have only just gotten the chance now. 
I really enjoy waffles. I have an electric waffle iron that my parents bought years and years ago. It doesn't get a lot of use but I drag it out of the back of the cupboard occasionally for a lovely breakfast. These waffles were different. I am not a huge fan of traditional waffle mixes I find them too light and fluffy with the beaten egg whites folded in. I much prefer to use a pancake mixture in my waffle iron as it is that bit thicker and makes a sturdier waffle that is not only good the first time around but freezes and toasts really well. I had to have two attempts at the toasted coconut for this. It was only in the oven for half the time that Bill suggested before it was burnt so the second time around I made sure to stand and watch it. Given the time of year, I didn't have fresh mango to go with them so I used some canned ones. These might be great for a mango lassi but I wasn't impressed with them as a fruit to eat on these waffles. Instead of the palm syrup I just used some golden syrup. These were nice but I am not in a hurry to make them again. I might try adding toasted coconut to my pancake mix and doing in the waffle iron and see if that is any better. 

Toasted Coconut Waffles with Mango & Syrup

Ingredients: 
  • 1/2 cup shredded coconut
  • 3 eggs, separated
  • 50 g unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 cup milk 
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk 
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup plain flour
  • Pinch of salt
  • 2 tsp bicarb soda
  • 3 tbsp caster sugar
  • Fresh mango, sliced (to serve)
  • Syrup (to serve)
Method: 
  • Heat oven to 180 degrees.
  • Spread the coconut on a baking tray and toast for 3 or 4 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside to cool.
  • Combine egg yolks, melted butter, milk, coconut milk, vanilla and toasted coconut. 
  • Sift flour, salt, baking soda and sugar then make a well in the centre and then gradually stir in wet ingredients. 
  • Beat egg whites until soft peaks form and then fold through batter.
  • Cook the waffles in a waffle iron according to the manufacturer's instructions.
  • Serve with slices of fresh mango and then drizzle with syrup. 

1 comment: