Monday 20 February 2012

Chicken, watermelon & mozzarella salad with mint dressing

No, I promise I haven't abandoned my lovely little blog. I have just been dealing with some personal issues/stresses in my life for the past month and have had a bit of trouble coming up with stuff to post. Also, I haven't really been cooking that much. I have a few things to post but not that much. 

I made this dish quite some time ago now and didn't get around to posting about it then. It was really good. I started out with this recipe over on Taste but made a few changes with regards to what I had and personal taste. I made the mint dressing as per the recipe, using regular mint in place of the spearmint. I set aside a little for drizzling. Then I marinated the chicken in the rest for about an hour. I browned the chicken over a medium high heat for a minute on both sides and then baked in the oven at 180 C for about 15 minutes. I didn't cook the onion. I just sliced some half moons. I added butter lettuce, halved cherry tomatoes and capsicum. I also didn't use the haloumi as I had some buffalo mozzarella that needed to be used up so I just tore it into chunks. It was definitely a very refreshing dinner for a warm day. 

 Chicken, watermelon & mozzarella salad with mint dressing

1 bunch mint, leaves picked
2 tbs capers
1 large clove garlic
1/2 cup (125ml) extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for brushing
2 tbs lemon juice
4 chicken breast fillets
1.25kg piece seedless watermelon, rind removed, cut into small wedges
1 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
1 red capsicum, sliced 
1/2 red onion, sliced 
2 balls buffalo mozzarella, torn into chunks
1 head butter lettuce, leaves torn 

Method: 

Finely chop mint, capers and garlic, then place in a bowl. Add oil and lemon juice, then season with salt and pepper. Reserve a couple of tablespoons for drizzling and then add chicken breasts and let marinate for 1 hour. 
Pre-heat oven to 180C.
Heat fry pan over medium high heat and brown chicken for 1 - 2 minutes each side then place pan in the oven for 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. 
Allow chicken to sit for 5 minutes and then slice thickly. 
Combine all ingredients on plates and drizzle with reserved dressing.



1 comment:

  1. Katren, that looks amazing!
    I hope your challenges you're facing are short lived!
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete