Sunday 22 July 2012

Pineapple & Cardamom Upside Down Cake

I love to cook and I love to bake. That is probably obvious since I have a foodie blog. While I get a lot of chance to cook meals, hey everyone's got to eat, baking is a different story. Living on my own means that I have to eat what I cook. There is only so many cakes, muffins, slices or desserts that one woman can eat. So whenever I get invited to dinner to a friend's house I always take something with me. This was one of those times. 

I have actually made this cake before and think that it is just wonderful. I find that upside down cakes can have a tendency to be too sweet. However the cardamom in this one seems to cut through the sweetness wonderfully. Although I will admit that I have reduced the sugar in both the topping and the cake. My friends and their children just loved it. I love it too, so much so that I didn't leave the leftovers but brought them home for me. Lol Although after feeding 3 adults and 3 children there wasn't that much left. 

Pineapple & Cardamom Upside Down Cake
  • 70g brown sugar
  • 40g soft, unsalted butter
  • 1 tin pineapple piece in natural juice, drained (you wont need the whole tin so keep the juice)
  • 150g (1 cup) self-raising flour
  • 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 1 tsp ground cardamom
  • 80g caster sugar
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1 tbsp golden syrup
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk
Combine brown sugar and butter in a heavy-based saucepan and stir over low heat until well combined and smooth. Remove from heat and pour into a well-greased, round, 20cm cake tin, spreading evenly. Arrange pineapple pieces on top of brown sugar mixture.
Sift flour, bicarbonate of soda and cardamom into a mixing bowl. Add caster sugar, stir and make a well in the centre. Melt butter with golden syrup and cool slightly. Pour into the well with eggs and milk. Beat thoroughly with a wooden spoon. Pour mixture over pineapple pieces and bake at 160 C for about 45minutes - 1 hour or until a cake skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cover with foil if cake browns before it is cooked through.
Stand in tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a plate.



1 comment:

  1. I swear that looks tempting! I love upside down cake, I think the whole process of turning the cake out is dramatic lol. Dramatic and beautiful.

    One thing I've learned is that, generally, it's better to let the cake cool for around 15 minutes before serving so the structure will be totally set. :)

    ReplyDelete