Thursday 25 October 2012

Delicious October 2012 - Chorizo, Cumin & Tomato rice

So it took a while to get something made from this issue. Not from lack of choice perhaps too many things to choose from. Plus I went through a loss of cooking mojo and was then away for a few days. 

I decided to make this Bill Granger recipe last night as I had pretty much everything for the dish and could substitute what I didn't have. This one was okay but nothing to rave about really. For the rice portion of the dish I used a new product (or at least new to me) called Rice Plus which is a mix of different rices and grains. It was did like it there was a nice chewyness to it. I didn't have any green beans so used asparagus . When eaten with a bit of chorizo the rice was good but without it was a bit lacking. I had some of the leftovers for lunch today and added a bit of sweet chilli sauce and it was a bit better. Perhaps some chilli would have pepped it up. I use a combination of sweet & hot paprika perhaps all hot would have been better or even just more of the spices. Like most rice dishes half the recipe made more than enough for 3 serves. I wont be rushing to make it again. 

I served it with a fennel, radish & feta salad. 

Chorizo, Cumin & Tomato Rice

1 tbsp oil (everyone uses olive oil these days but at high heat it isn't the best so I used grapeseed)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp each ground cumin, paprika and ground coriander
1 1/2 cups basmati
400g can chopped tomatoes (perhaps some fresh would have added something) 
3 - 4 c chicken stock (I used 3) 
200 g green beans
300 g chorizo, chopped 
200 g marinated red capsicum, drained & sliced 

Heat oil, add garlic & spices cook until fragrant. Add rice and stir to coat in spice mix and then add the tomatoes & stock. Bring to the boil and then reduce heat and cook for 30 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Add beans in the last 5 minutes of cooking. Meanwhile fry chorizo in another pan until lightly browned.

Serve rice with chorizo and capsicum.



1 comment:

  1. I made this last night and yes it is a bit lacking. I fried up the chorizo first and then cooked the garlic and spices in the chorizo oil for extra flavour.I also did my own roast capos which were wasted in this dish. If I ever decide to try it again I'm going to pep it up by using sundried tomato strips out of the jar including some of the oil and perhaps even toss through a few bits of kalamata olives for a completely different slant on the dish. I served it with steamed green bean and broccolini tossed through a garlic butter. They were delicious.

    ReplyDelete